Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Learning... or the day I remembered I like being a Software Developer...

Long story short not to long ago I was considering not being a software developer anymore.. good news for me and my sanity I switched to a new company and got a new lease on the good or is that geek? life :) Add a little Edmonton .Net User Group and some Jean-Paul into the mix and suddenly I realize how much I've missed and how little time I've spent learning over the last 3 years.

With that in mind I've spent the last few weeks trying to cram those missed 3 years into a few weeks. Of course that's impossible but I do have the basics down in quite a few things and am learning more everday. With that in mind I'll be doing a few posts on various technologies from the point of view of a complete newbie and my thoughts on it.

And if you yourself find that maybe you don't quite feel that same loving feeling for software development that you use to.. ask yourself one simple question.. When is the last time you saw or learnt something that made you get pumped up? If it's been awhile I'd recommend looking into a local .Net group, attend some information sessions by a seasoned pro or two or heck maybe just pick up a new book. You may find that it's not software development that's gotten stale.. but lack of learning.

Shane

No comments: